Monday, February 1, 2010

Rated R

This is a warning that if you have a weak stomach you may not want to read this post. It has nothing to do with McKenzie other than she was in the car with me at the time.

Saturday night MG and I were driving back home from Madison. It was around 8 pm, so defiantly dark outside and raining on and off, when in the distance I could see flashing lights. At this point I did not know if they were on my side of the interstate or on the other side. As I got closer I realized that they were on the other side. However, I was in the fast lane and my lane was quickly coming to a stop. I then noticed that all the cars in front of me were getting over. So, I thought that there may have been some car parts on our side of the interstate because both cars were smashed against the median wall. I kept trying to get over but no one would let me in. I had inched up enough that I could tell there was so much "stuff" in the fast lane that I had to get over, I could not drive over it. So, finally this car let me in and while I was getting over I had inched up enough to realize that there was an object laying in the second to fastest lane also. So, as I was trying to get over into the second lane I had to go around his long thing that I thought was a bummer or twisted metal. As I look down onto the road to make sure that I have turned enough and I was not going to run over this object I realized to my surprise that it is not a piece of metal. It was a human leg. An entire leg, with no body attached, just the leg. I quickly realize then that all the "mess" in the fast lane was not parts of a car, rather parts of a body. It all happened so quickly. It was a really good thing that I was focusing on getting over into the next lane as hard as I was and not what was in the street. After I drove by I could not even take a second look. Once my brain processes what I saw, I began to freak out. I did not know if I should cry or scream so I called Jason first and I could not even talk when he said hello. I scared him to death because I was silent on the other end. Finally I could explain what had happened. I then called my Dad! I never did cry or scream, I held it together very well. I did not in any way want McKenzie to think that there was something wrong or scare her. She was just singing Happy Birthday in the back seat. (That is her new favorite song and she thinks that every day is her birthday!) Needless to say, I was so happy to get home! However, I was afraid to get out of my car. I did not know if there would be blood on it or anything like that. Everything was fine with my car.

I heard on the news Sunday morning what happened. Two cars had a minor accident and both drivers had gotten out of their cars to check the damage. As they were standing there, along came a tow truck and just plowed them over. One lady died on the scene and the other one died at the hospital during the night. Such a sad story. The one girl was only 23 and left behind an 11 month old little girl and a fiance. The other lady only 35. That was totally an experience that I hope I never see again and I hope you never see it either.

1 comment:

Tank said...

that is so sad. wow. we are so blessed. those poor people. I am glad y'all are okay!